Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MRI Results are in...

The results from the MRI are in.  Here is what the Dr. said via email:

The MRI shows changes in the fibular shaft consistent with a 'stress response.' These are the beginnings of what we would see with a stress fracture, but no fracture was seen. There were no other soft tissue abnormalities, including tendonitis, that were seen.

Right away, I would start taking calcium 1000mg and vitamin D 400 IU daily to help with bone growth. As far as training, we need to talk about specifics and goals for your current race schedule, so I agree we should touch base by phone.

Good news, bad news??  Doesn't sound horrible, but explains why my leg still hurts.  I will be talking with my Dr. soon about what I can do.  Guess it might have been a smart idea to stop running for a little bit.  26 days left till Boston Marathon.

3 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Relatively good news....

ShirleyPerly said...

I think it's very cool that your doc actually communicates via email. Hope you and he can work something out so you can still run Boston and feel good about the race.

Jim said...

Sometimes it isn't seen until it has healed. I got a SFX 30 days before Chicago last year. I hope you can still run Boston. Good luck